West Ashley, South Carolina – Friday afternoon house fire in West Ashley displaced a family of four after their house was heavily damaged in the incident, fire officials say.
According to the incident report, the fire started before 2 p.m. on Friday and fire crews were dispatched at the scene to the 1300 block of White Drive.
Charleston and St. Andrews fire crews responded at the scene.
The daughter of the homeowners Kendra Parson said her parents were inside the living room when they noticed a smoke coming from the front room.
Her nephew, who was also inside the house, when to his room and that’s the moment when he saw a fire had sparked. In less than a minute, all family members left the house and went to their neighbors asking them to call 911.
The family has been living in the house for more than four decades and now their home is completely damaged.
“The house was, like as a kid, your playground, right, with so many different compartments,” Parson said.
“You see stuff like this on TV, and you just don’t think it will happen to you. You’ll be like, ‘Oh, man, poor family,’ and now, it’s you, so it’s – we got time to make new memories, though,” she added.
Homeowners will probably stay with family members for a few nights until they figure it out what to do next. Meanwhile, their neighbors offered to replace Parson’s nephew school supplies so he can be ready for school on Monday.
The fire was extinguished and no injuries were reported.